Monday, January 4, 2010

Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you are smarter than everyone

Avery had her 1 year well baby visit on Saturday. (Yep she's almost 13 months)

Apparently you can't get a diaper rash while teething. Dr. Sears says otherwise. It MUST be because I'm applying too many creams to her bottom. Nevermind the fact that I cloth diaper and don't even use creams unless she has a rash and is then switched to disposables for the cream until it clears up. It's also highly related to the baby wipes. Again, I use washclothes and water with the cloth diapers. But what do I know.

13 months is far to early to be ready to potty train or even entertain the idea. Children need to show three signs to be ready. 1. Be interested when I go to the bathroom (check) 2. Do something specific like put their hands together or hide in the corner when they are pooping (check-hides) and 3. Demand to be changed immediately following poop (check). Hmm. Seems like she qualifies based on your infinite knowledge guidelines. Because you can TRAIN a child to do anything but then you might as well have a dog. (True story. He said that.) I'm not going to push her but I will be buying her a potty chair to see what happens. Take that Dr. Smarty-pants.

I got major side-eye and told "I thought you'd know better being a nurse at Childrens" when I declined the H1N1 vaccine and the regular flu vaccine. Research shows that the only way to stop an epidemic is to vaccinate the children. While I agree I'm also not comfortable giving my child a vaccine that is brand new. I've read the research about the H1N1 vaccine and I've weighed the risks. Avery is not around the general population very often. In church she stays with me and doesn't go to the nursery, she doesn't go to daycare, when we go to the store I either wear her or wipe down the cart with bleach wipes, and is too young to be in activities.

On to the good news. Avery was 23lbs 11oz which is still the 75th percentile for her age. Babies should triple their birth weight by 1 year. She was 7lbs even at birth, she's good. I can't remember her exact height, I have it written down, but it was greater than the 95th percentile for her age. I knew it. I knew she was going to be a giant. No wonder we skipped right over the 12 month pants and are now in 18-24 months. She says around 15 words (he didn't believe me) and can walk like a pro (I had to show him).

Turns out I was correct in that she is a genius and a hoss.

No comments: